In this guide, you will learn how to jailbreak Firestick in an easy way. With this new and faster way of 2021, you will be able to do it very easily.
Note – To get the best out of this technique and having a better streaming experience, it is necessary that you follow all the steps, mentioned in this guide.
Jailbreaking Firestick Complete Guide 2021: In the past years and even decades, television has gone through so many changes. From free TV, pay-per-view, cable, satellite, and now streaming, the television hasn’t faded but evolved. It has gone such a huge transformation in the following years, and even up to now it’s still evolving. Different manufacturers still try to amp up their game in trying to produce a quality product. With the constant change in technology and even with the help of the internet, TV entertainment has kept up with these changes.
However, people nowadays are looking for a way to have that same kind of entertainment even while on the go. This is one of the reasons why people on-the-go are almost glued to their phones or tablets. Aside from social media, people are now occupied with various programs, movies, and videos that they can watch through their gadgets.
It has been a historic evolution for the world of television. Once the internet has entered the lives of people, it’s only a matter of time that television evolves into something relevant and up-to-date with the changes. Enter the streaming media. Thanks to the creation of YouTube, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc. television has been revolutionized. And now with the help of the internet, these programs, movies, videos, music, apps, etc. have all been accessible to everyone.
These days with such a diverse selection for programs, movies, and other forms of entertainment, television companies can only do so much. With televisions evolving into Smart TVs, this opened a way to diversify the programs that television can provide. Now with the help of streaming sites, viewers can enjoy more selections of what to watch. The internet has been helpful in this matter. With a lot of programs and movies that are only available online, through streaming, it gives the concept of TV-watching a whole new experience.
But with the fast-paced lifestyle of most individuals, they’ve started looking for something convenient, accessible, and compact. Not to mention that not all televisions have the ability to let viewers watch more than what free TV can offer.
Now with the help of streaming devices, this will let viewers watch anything they like with the help of the internet especially if they only have regular televisions. Major companies have created devices that will make the viewing experience to a whole new level.
Table of Contents
What is a Firestick / Fire TV Stick?
The Firestick or Fire TV sticks is a streaming device created by Amazon. This device allows you access to programs from streaming sites. These streaming sites include Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Disney +, HBO Max, etc. With streaming, The days of expensive monthly cable subscriptions are gone. Through the internet and WIFI connection, you have been given access to thousands of selections of TV series, movies, music, and even apps. Most selections come from free streaming sites. Although there some which you will need to pay for, it won’t cost as much as a cable plan.
It is a small device roughly the size of a USB flash drive and it is plugged through the TV’s HDMI port. With this method, you can actually make a regular television into a smart TV with just this device. Do note that your television must have an HDMI port for you to maximize the use of the Firestick.
You can get the Firestick on the Amazon website. Do note that there are accessories that you will need to purchase separately. But do not fret as accessories are available on the Amazon website as well.
The Firestick is the budget-friendly version of the Fire TV. And while both Firestick and Fire TV have a lot of similarities, they have a few differences that set them apart aside from their prices.
WARNING! STREAM ON FIRESTICK/ FIRETVSTICK 4K ONLY WITH A VPN
Free streaming of copyrighted Videos, Movies, Music, or any other content online is an illegal activity. It is hard to determine the copyrighted content, and unknowingly, if you get caught streaming copyrighted content, you may face legal proceedings or penalties.
Undoubtedly, Government agencies continuously monitor streaming activities. They can reach you through your IP address and location.
Hence, I strongly advise you to use PrivateInternetAccess. Because PrivateInternetAccess VPN hides your IP Address and you remain anonymous. Also, it bypasses Geo-Restrictions, Bandwidth Throttling, etc.
Moreover, it has unbreakable 256-bit military-grade encryption that encrypts your internet connection and makes your streaming activities private. So that you remain 100% invisible.
Differences Between Fire TV and Firestick
- First is the processor for each of these devices. The Fire TV has a Hexa-core processor while the Firestickruns on a Quad-core processor.
- Firestick is a more compact and portable device which is a great option for any traveler, whereas the Fire TV is bigger in size.
- Firestick relies on a WIFI connection in order for its user to stream. While the Fire TV can also be connected through the WIFI, it also has an ethernet port for hardwire internet connection.
- There’s also the matter of the streaming quality. Fire TV allows the viewer to have a full 4k ultra HD viewing experience whereas the Firestick does not. Although, it still provides its viewers with high-quality videos up to 1080p, images, and sound.
- Storage-wise, the Fire TV offers more with its 16GB storage compared to Firestick’s 8GB.
- As for the supported audio, the Fire TV has a much superior audio support with Dolby Atmos where the Firestick has Dolby Audio.
- One of the features of these Amazon streaming devices is Alexa integration. Both the Firestick and Fire TV have it, but what differs is that the Fire TV has an enhanced built-inEcho speaker. Meaning, the user can give a command to Alexa without having to exert so much since it can ever hear commands from far-distance. This feature is helpful for users who have a wide range of smart gadgets in their homes.
Even with these comparisons, there are no glaring differences. The Firestick edges out the Fire TV when it comes to portability and price. With almost the same features that a Fire TV would give, the Firestick is also a great choice especially if you’re looking for some quality entertainment while at the same time won’t have to spend as much.
Aside from the device itself, included inside is a remote control, HDMI cable, USB cable power, power adaptor, start-up guide, and warranty sheet. With your brand-new Firestick, no need to call for a technician to install your device.
So, before you use it, make sure that you have everything before the installation.
- Your TV – make sure that your television has an HDMI port
- Wireless connection
- You will need to have an Amazon account. If you do not have one, there will be a system prompt once you get started with the installation.
- AAA batteries for the remote control
How to Install Firestick?
Once you have those mentioned above ready, you are good to go to set up your Firestick to your TV. So, how do you install it? It is actually simple and designed to let the user set it up without much complication.
- Plugin your Firestick into the HDMI port of your TV. Connect the power supply through the USB cable provided and power adaptor.
- Once plugged in and switched on, it will now ask for a WIFI connection. Input the WIFI details and set up a connection.
- After setting up the WIFI connection, a start-up guide will appear on the screen to walk you through the setup. Sign in with your Amazon credentials and register your Firestick device.
- Add in the remote control. This should automatically pair with your Firestick device.
- Once you’re connected with the WIFI and signed in, you are good to go. You may start your download for videos, channels, apps, music, etc.
You are all set up. Once you’re signed in to your Amazon account, you have access to all the things you have purchased through this account. Like music, and videos, and even photos saved in your cloud storage are also accessible. You may also start to download some streaming apps. Now while there are some apps and channels which are free, most of the popular streaming apps or sites come with a subscription fee. Streaming sites such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney +, and even Spotify all have a monthly subscription fee.
Apart from allowing the user to watch endless TV shows and movies both free and paid, the Firestick also allows the user to gain access to more than just TV shows and movies that are available from popular streaming sites. There are a huge number of apps that allow a user to gain access to satellite channels from several countries like the UK, Canada, and Australia.
More than just videos, the Firestick allows the user to stream music as well. Apps like Spotify and YouTube will give you access to a huge number of songs to listen to. In the case of Spotify, there also an option to download it so you can listen to it afterward.
The Firestick basically allows the user to use the device almost the same way as he uses his tablet or phone. Although with the Firestick, it gives a better entertainment experience for the user without having to pay so much as one would for a cable subscription. It makes any regular TV into a smart TV simply by plugging in a small device.
Of course, as wonderful the Firestick as it sounds, especially with its promise of providing good entertainment, it does come with a price. Although the Firestick doesn’t cost as much as when you subscribe to a cable plan, as mentioned earlier some of its streaming apps have monthly subscription fees. While some of them do not cost that much, just imagine if you have a handful of apps requiring subscription fees.
This is where jailbreaking your Firestick comes in.
Why Jailbreaking Firestick?
Jailbreaking sounds illegal at first glance but for this device, this is far from it. What makes it different from jailbreaking other devices such as the iPhone or other smartphones is that this one will not require the user to use modified firmware. The device is already yours so you’re basically free to do add anything to it.
But how did jailbreaking the Firestick device came about? When the Firestick device came about back in 2014, all the video streaming apps including third-party applications became available in the Amazon app store both free and paid (at a very low price). But it has been discontinued including the Kodi application, an app that will be discussed later on. Because of this, users and other consumers started jailbreaking the Firestick device.
So, what is it exactly?
What is Jailbreaking Firestick?
Jailbreaking is removing the restriction that the manufacturer put on the device. This will let you install apps to help you have free access to all the streaming apps on your device. It does not involve any modification of the device’s core system or processing.
Unlike jailbreaking a smartphone which will require modifying the operating system or core files, jailbreaking a Firestick only involves installing some third-party apps. In fact, there are jailbreaking apps available to use in Google Play or any other app store.
What can I do after Jailbreaking Firestick?
Once your Firestick is jailbroken, you can also sideload applications in the device. Sideloading is letting you install apps that are not available in the Amazon app store. This will even allow you to have even more access to other streaming apps that can only be downloaded in other app stores. Since the Firestick also runs on the Android operating system, the sideload will let you use these apps gotten from Google Play.
How to Jailbreak Firestick? [Step-by-Step]
Now to jailbreak your Firestick device, we will need to do some tweaking in your device’s privacy settings. You have already adjusted some options, but there are a few more steps to take to remove the restrictions on your device. As mentioned earlier, no need to modify any settings from the operating system. No need to get someone to do it for you as jailbreaking your Firestick involves a simple process.
- First, go to the Home screen. You can do this by pressing the “Home” button in your remote control that came with the device.
2. Click “Settings” from the Home screen. The settings option is in the menu bar found at the top right corner.
3. From the Settings at the menu bar, select “My Fire TV” (or device).
4. Then click “Developer Options.”
5. From there you can check if the option “Apps from Unknown Source” is enabled ( It allows us to download apps from outside the Amazon App Store). If it’s disabled, switch it to ON. Switched on the “ADB debugging” as well.
6. Once it’s switched to ON, a system prompt will give you a warning message. Choose “Turn On.”
7. Now use the back button in your remote control to go back at the settings menu. From there, click “Preferences.”
8. Click on “Privacy Settings.”
9. Select “Collect App Usage Data” and switch it off. Also, still in the “Preferences” option, switch off the “Device Usage Data” option and “Interest-Based Ads.”
Next Step is ‘Sideloading’
Once this privacy setting is set up, you may continue with the next step of the process called ‘Sideloading‘. This is a process that will give you a wider selection and more options to choose from for your entertainment. Since Amazon will not let you download anywhere aside from their app store, you will need to install a third-party app.
So, before you sideload an app, you will first need a downloader app. You may try the Downloader by AFTVnews which will let you download files from the web. No need to sideload this one as this is available in the Amazon app store. This is completely free and will not put many dents in your device’s storage. Even better, this app doesn’t ask for any in-app purchases and it’s free from those annoying ads. So, how to install this app on your device?
- First, you need to go to the home screen of the Firestick
2. Navigate to the Search icon and type in “Downloader” using the onscreen keypad. You may also use the Alexa voice search to do this.
3. Once you see “Downloader,” go on and select it.
4. Click on the “Downloader Icon“
5. Click on the “Get” button to download the app and to install it.
- Open the “Downloader” app and choose the “Setting” option.
3. Select “Yes” when prompted with a warning message
Once you have the Downloader app, you can now get third-party apps that are not available in the Amazon app store. Do note that when you sideload an app, the Amazon app store does not allow unverified apps into your device. Because…
This is not the end of the jailbreak process. Having the Downloader app is the first step for jailbreaking your Firestick. At this point through the Downloader, we will need a specific third-party app to help with the jailbreak process.
Next Step is to Install Kodi in Your Device
A very popular media app called Kodi is a media player that will allow the user to play any video or apps from the web. It also allows the user to gain access to a huge range of entertainment selections. Apart from the usual streaming sites, it allows you to watch from various channels as well without spending anything. This is not available in the Amazon app store. That is why it has to be downloaded through the Downloader app.
To install the Kodi application in your device, you may go through these steps.
- Go to your Home screen
- Run the Downloader app
- Once you opened the Downloader app, a dialog box will appear asking for a URL. Click that field and enter the URL or the site address where you’ll be getting the Kodi app from.
- After you hit “Go,” it will first connect to the server then the downloading of the APK file will start. Wait it out until it’s done.
- After it’s downloaded, you may go ahead and select “Go” to start the installation process. It will take a few minutes to install. But once it’s done it will prompt a system message that it’s finished installing the app.
After you have installed the Kodi app, your Firestick is now jailbroken. At this point, you’re ready to stream all you want from various sites and channels without restriction. However, as previously mentioned the Kodi app is a media player so you will be needing some kind of a source to start streaming. Enter Kodi add-ons.
Double-Check Kodi Security Settings
These add-ons are what will let you stream all the entertainment content. It will also let you access other multimedia content at no cost. It will serve as some sort of a bridge for Kodi and these contents that will finally allow you to stream. But before you start, you may want to double-check first the security settings of the Kodi to seamlessly install the add-ons.
- Open the Kodi app. At the same time, open the Settings option from the home screen.
- Select the settings option in the Kodi app.
- On the left screen, select Add-ons.
- Enable the option Unknown Sources if it’s disabled.
- Click “Yes” if prompted.
After tweaking the settings, you’re good to go to install these add-ons. Installing add-ons is such a simple process and can be done in just three steps. You only need to add a source, a repository, and finally the installation of the add-on.
But first to add the source:
- Open the Kodi app from the main menu then open its settings.
- Click on the File Manager.
- Click the Add Source.
- When prompted, select None.
- After that, enter the source URL in the empty field of the add-on you’re going to install.
- Click OK.
- Enter the name of the source in the provided field and then click OK. You have the liberty to input anything.
Next is to install a repository. It will serve as a container or a receptacle for your add-ons. This will allow you access to a lot of add-ons.
How to Install a Repository in Kodi
- From the Kodi home screen, click Add-ons.
- On the left side part of the screen, click on a box icon.
- From there, click “Install from Zip File.”
- Once a dialog box opens, select the name of the source you provided earlier (when you installed the add-on).
- A notification will appear telling the user that the repository file is now installed.
Now, it’s time to install the add-on.
How to Install an Add-On in Kodi
- Select “Install from repository.”
- A selection of files will appear. Select the repository file you have installed earlier.
- Click “Video add-ons.”
- After that, you may now select the add-on that you want to install from the repository.
- Click “Install.”
- A dialog box or window will appear with a notification informing you that an add-on will be installed. Click OK
Once the installation is done, you finally have the add-on installed in your device.
Kodi is not the only application available that allows unlimited streaming through add-ons. There are others more available and it caters to a variety of content depending on the user’s interests.
While the Kodi app is legal, you might want to be careful with the content you stream or download from the app. There are apps available that provide copyrighted content and that’s perfectly alright. However, you may want to watch out since Kodi will allow you to stream or download anything, you might encounter some pirated content.
Just to be on the safe side, check on your privacy settings. Some apps will require some personal data in order to gain full access to the content. This usually comes from hackers or cybercriminals who want to take information such as passwords, personal data, or even credit card numbers. So, be sure to only get content from authorized developers, sources, and websites.
But since no one can be too sure about your privacy and security, it is highly recommended that you use a VPN. Using a VPN will protect the privacy of the user. Developers, internet service providers, hackers, and even government agencies have the ability to track your activity online. Even huge companies such as Google, Apple, and Amazon can do surveillance in each of their users. So, to safeguard and secure your privacy, VPN will be your safety net.
VPN is an internet security network. When in use, the user doesn’t need to worry about the invasion of his privacy or getting tracked while browsing through the internet. It encrypts and hides all the user’s data including location, identity, passwords, and online activities. Thus, this provides you the protection you needed while you browse online.
Apart from protecting and encrypting your data and other information, VPN also allows you to access content that normally restricts some users depending on the geographical location. This is by-pass geoblocking. With the use of a VPN, that restriction will be removed and you can have a wider selection of content even those that are restricted in your region. It will also help mask your IP address which is helpful when you travel (especially with the use of your Firestick). With just a change of server, you will also be able to access contents that are also restricted in your region.
There are a huge number of VPN applications available. But you must be careful in choosing the one you will subscribe to. Double-check if such an application has incredible speed and high-security features. Also, make sure that it has a variety of servers.
How to Install a VPN in Firestick Device?
To install a VPN in your Firestick device, you must first subscribe to an available VPN software like ExpressVPN, IPVanish, and NordVPN. Once you have registered, then proceed with the following steps.
- In Firestick search options, and type in VPN you have subscribed to.
- Click the VPN icon and then click “Download.”
- Click “Open” to run the VPN application.
- Enter the registered username and password.
- Click Connect.
- Select OK when a dialog box appears.
Once you’re done using the VPN application, don’t forget to click “Disconnect.” You have the option to not run the VPN if you don’t want to use it.
How to Install a VPN application through the Downloader app
There is also the option to install a VPN application through the Downloader app. It’s here as follows.
- Run the Downloader app.
- If prompted with a system message, just select “Allow.”
- A dialog box will appear, you may click OK.
- Enter the URL address of the source or file you want to download.
- Click “Go,” then “Install.”
- Once installed, click “Open” to run the application.
- Enter the registered username and password.
- Click “Connect.”
Now, we have completed the Process of Jailbreaking Firestick and securing your device; but after all this process, you might wonder if jailbreaking is a legal process. The answer is yes, jailbreaking your Firestick is legal. The device is already yours so you have free reign over it. While you have complete control over what goes on on your device, keep in mind to not access any copyrighted content. You might want to avoid some apps that came from untrusted or unauthorized websites and sources because this might be pirated content. The Kodi app is an example of a third-party app that is legal. It’s also available in other app stores such as the Google Play store and the Microsoft Windows store.
You may be wondering if you need to pay anything when you need to jailbreak your device. Well, good news for you, jailbreaking your Firestick device doesn’t cost anything at all. You’ll be doing this yourself which makes this process simple and not that complicated. Plus, once your Firestick is jailbroken, no need to pay anything for apps you want to download including third-party apps.
Now, if you’re concern about the warranty of your device, no need to worry about it too. Your device is not devoid of its warranty. With just the installation of third-party apps, there was no modification in the system and so the device’s warranty remains intact.
There you have it. Now you’re able to gain unlimited access to streaming sites, channels, and other multimedia content with just some simple tweaking in your Firestick device and following the carefully laid out instructions. You just need to put some extra caution when you download third-party applications on your device but that’s what the VPN app is for. But other than that, jailbreaking a Firestick has been used by a lot of users and has proven its capability to stream with no issues. So, let your leveled-up, unlimited streaming begin now.